How to Detail Your Engine and Engine Bay with KBS Klean
A clean engine bay looks great and makes it easier to spot leaks and other issues if they arise. If you want to detail your engine bay for shows, simpler maintenance, or just to make your daily driver look its best, KBS Klean makes the job easier. Here’s how to detail your engine and engine bay as a do-it-yourself project with KBS Klean.
1. Get Ready to Detail Your Engine Bay
- Before you start the cleaning and detailing procedure, you’ll want to make sure the engine is cool. Hot engines, radiators, exhaust, etc. can cause burns. Plus, heat can cause cleaners to evaporate quickly. So, play it cool…
- There’s going to be a lot of water sprayed on the engine and in the engine bay. So, to avoid electrical shorts or other damage to electrical components it’s a good idea to disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal.
- Another measure to protect under hood electrical components, as well as other parts like open element air cleaners is to cover them. This can be done with plastic bags or plastic wrap.
- Gather needed items.
- KBS Klean
- Scrub pad and/or a scrub brush with a handle to be get down low and in tight spots
- Plastic bags and/or plastic wrap
- Goggles and rubber gloves
- Terry cloth towels
- Air compressor (if available)
2. Clean (Klean) the Engine and Engine Bay
- Now comes the cleaning. To remove dirt and grease you’ll need to need scrub the engine and engine bay down with an all-purpose cleaner/degreaser or commercial engine cleaner. KBS Klean is a great choice. KBS Klean is a concentrated high-strength cleaner that’s water based and biodegradable. It’s made to thoroughly remove dirt, grease and grime and other contaminants.
- Mix KBS Klean and warm water in a bucket. The KBS Klean and water solution can be prepared in different ratios, depending on the degree of grunge and contaminants that need to be cleaned off as well as the type of materials it’s being applied to. Typically, cars and trucks have many non-ferrous metals like aluminum and brass under hood. So, we recommend using a water to KBS Klean ratio of 25 to 1. Remember to use warm water, as the warmer the water is the better KBS Klean will work.
- Be safe out there. Wear goggles and rubber gloves when you detail your engine and engine bay.
- You can use a sponge to scrub down the engine bay, and if needed a scrub pad or bristle brush can be used to speed up removal of heavy gunk. For the most effective cleaning, wash the surface for 5-10 minutes. Keep the solution wet, don’t allow it to dry on the surface.
- KBS Klean can also be used with power washers, just make sure the pressure isn’t too high. Start with a 25° nozzle and if required, switch to a 40° nozzle. Stand back at least three feet as pressure washing from a close range can damage parts. Be careful not to get the solution into electrical components and their connections.
- After you’ve finished cleaning an area rinse it thoroughly with water. Once your completely done allow the engine and engine bay to dry thoroughly. Wiping them down with a terry cloth towel will speed things up and compressed air will make it go even quicker.
- Now you can remove the plastic bags or wrap, as well as reconnect the cable to the negative battery terminal. If dirty areas were left under the protective covers, they can be carefully wiped down with a rag to remove and dirt or grime.
3. Dress It Up
- The final step to detail your engine and engine bay is to provide a shine and a deep and lustrous appearance with engine bay dressing. There are many products to choose from which are available in different formulations with some being oil based and others acrylic based. Oil based products are typically stickier than acrylic based, which can cause them to catch dirt and dust than acrylic.
- Engine bay dressings can apply differently. Some products are a spray on and leave it application, while others are sprayed onto a cloth or sponge and then applied to the engine and engine bay. Spray on and leave it products allow quick coverage, while those applied with a cloth or sponge allow more control of where the dressing is placed. Follow the use instructions of the product you choose.
A clean engine bay looks great and makes a car or truck easier to maintain. Using KBS Klean as part of this process to detail your engine makes the job easier.