- Surface to be treated should be free of dirt, oil, grease and other contaminants. The cleaner the surface, the more effective RustBlast will work. Note: RustBlast is more effective when the surface temperature is warmer (within the suggested working temperature).
- Scrape off any loose rust, mill scale, paint, etc. and clean with a WATER-BASED cleaner/degreaser. FOR BEST RESULTS, Use KBS Klean. Avoid any solvent-based cleaners as they can leave an invisible residue.
- Liberally apply RustBlast FULL-STRENGTH to a DRY surface using a spray bottle, brush, roller, or backpack sprayer for larger applications.
- Re-apply often and as needed to keep the surface wet for a minimum of 30 minutes for smooth or lightly rusted surfaces, 40-60 minutes for moderately rusted surfaces and 1-2 hours for heavily rusted or corroded surfaces. DO NOT allow surface to dry.
- After treatment, rinse thoroughly with water and then allow surface to dry completely.
- For removal of light corrosion or etching of non-ferrous metals (such as aluminium, brass, copper), prepare surface as above and apply RustBlast for 10-20 minutes then rinse thoroughly with water and allow surface to dry completely.
PROTECTIVE GLOVES AND EYEWEAR SHOULD BE WORN AT ALL TIMES WHEN USING THIS PRODUCT.
NOTE: Once dry, RustBlast may leave a slight powder residue which is the zinc phosphate coating. Items treated with RustBlast can remain uncoated for up to 30 days depending on environmental conditions. Ideal working temperature 55-80˚F (13-27˚C).
1) Why is there a white powdery substance left over after I rinse off the RustBlast?
The slight white powdery residue is zinc phosphate and RustBlast leaves that behind because it aids in adhesion of coatings such as RustSeal.
2) Can I use RustBlast when applying paints other then KBS RustSeal?
Yes. RustBlast works well as a metal prep and etch for most paints.
3) Can I use RustBlast to remove rust from equipment and tools?
Yes. Soak the tool or equipment for 30 minutes to 24 hours and rinse it off with water using a scotch brite pad. You will be left with rust free tools and equipment.
4) Do I really have to rinse off the RustBlast with water?
Yes. It is important to rinse before the RustBlast dries to avoid a heavy layer of zinc phosphate.